BRS Central Onboarding service during COVID-19
The team will continue to provide service to the Berkeley campus during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) environment with the understanding that staff will be working remotely as per the current campus directive. Voicemails left for the BRS Central Onboarding Team (510-664-9000/3) will continue to be monitored remotely throughout the day. They will respond/triage as usual.
University Hall, where in-person onboarding sessions are normally held, is currently closed. Here are additional details around onboarding:
Simply speaking, during COVID-19, while in-person onboarding sessions have been suspended, by default, all new hire/rehire paperwork is completed remotely through an online process that includes an improved DocuSign packet and individual video appointments for the I-9 verification.
This includes the recent announcement that flexibility has been granted for Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9) requirements given the limitations of physical presence - inspection is allowed (temporarily) by using other virtual methods. Documents must be physically inspected once normal operations resume.
In-person Benefit Orientations are also suspended at this time. To help new employees learn about this information, use the link to the right to get links to University of California Office of the President (UCOPP Benefits webinars.
- When normal campus operations resume, in-person onboarding and I-9 verifications will be re-evaluated, depending on campus conditions and public safety directions received at that time in order to return to in-person sessions. Updates will be featured on the Onboarding New Employees page(s) of the BRS website about those changes.
- UC Police Department (UCPD) has now reinstated offering in-person fingerprint appointments. There are social distancing limitations in place so please go to their website for full details.
Other details to ensure a positive experience for new Berkeley employees:
- Proactively coordinate hire/start dates for new employees. To be I-9 compliant, employees cannot begin work until Onboarding paperwork is complete.
- Leverage the information and tools on the UCnet Compensation and Benefits website. Submit complete hire requests (via ServiceNow) with all required attachments for background checks (e.g., signed IOC, job descriptions, etc.) and hire request forms to avoid delays in sending an onboarding session invitation to new employees (background check details will be updated in ServiceNow).
- New Berkeley employees will complete the majority of their paperwork electronically using DocuSign; an easy and secure program that protects all the information new employees enter.