BRS Central Onboarding service during COVID-19
The team will continue to provide service to the Berkeley campus with the understanding that most staff will be working remotely as per the current campus directive. Voicemails left for the BRS Central Onboarding Team (510-664-9000/3) will continue to be monitored remotely throughout the day. They will respond/triage as usual.
Berkeley resumed in-person instruction for Fall '21 and will be monitoring plans closely as/if the landscape changes. BRS remains committed to partnering with departments to ensure appointments are processed as timely as possible and will remain as flexible as they can with their support.
Here are additional details around onboarding:
Simply speaking, BRS continues to work under the assumption that all new hire/rehire paperwork is completed remotely through an online process that includes an improved DocuSign packet (which includes the Patent) and individual appointments to verify work authorizations (e.g., Form I-9, state oaths, etc.).
Should the landscape change based on the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement directives, BRS regions will advise their departments.
In-person Benefit Orientations are also suspended at this time. To help new employees learn about this information, use the link to the right to get links to University of California Office of the President (UCOP) Benefits webinars.
- Currently, the UC Police Department (UCPD) continues to conduct fingerprint appointments for new employees by appointment only; no walk-ins. There are social distancing limitations in place so please go to their website for full details.
Other details to ensure a positive experience for new Berkeley employees:
- Proactively coordinate hire/start dates for new employees. To be I-9 compliant, employees cannot begin work until Onboarding paperwork is complete.
- Submit complete hire requests (via ServiceNow) with all required attachments for background checks (e.g., signed IOC, job descriptions, etc.) and hire request forms to avoid delays in initiating Onboarding activities with new employees (background check details will be updated in ServiceNow).
- Leverage the information and tools on the UCnet Compensation and Benefits website.
- It is important to remember that when an employee is working outside the U.S., they have specific guidance for their payroll, taxes, and benefits. Please share this information wtih applicable new appointee(s).