Berkeley is LIVE with UCPath!

April 3, 2019

(Below is an excerpt from the 3/30 CalMessage from Marc Fisher, VC Administration and Jo Mackness, Interim AVC, Human Resources.

UCPath is live! Please review this email closely for information about how to access UCPath Online, where to get help, and more. You can also refer to the UCPath Fact Sheet and the Berkeley UCPath website for more information.

Access UCPath Online

  1. Log in to the UCPath Online portal from the Berkeley UCPath website home page or at
  2. Verify your identity using your birthdate and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN).
  3. Follow the prompts to set up your security questions.
  4. Check that you are able to view your personal information.
  5. Review your paycheck once it is available (see below).

If you are unable to login to UCPath, please submit a ServiceNow ticket.


Review the layout of your new paycheck with the ‘paycheck preview’ found on the Employee Resources page.

First UCPath paychecks will be issued:

  • April 1 for monthly-paid employees (preview available today, 3/30)
  • April 3 for biweekly-paid employees (preview will be available Monday, 4/1)

For employees who are NOT enrolled in direct deposit, paper paychecks will be mailed on payday to your home address and will arrive after payday.

Help with the UCPath Online Portal

You can refer to the Self-Service Employee Actions guide to see where to update personal information, view benefits, view leave (e.g., vacation accrual) information, and more. For further assistance navigating UCPath Online, you can visit a Quick Stop Support location on campus.

Where to Report a Pay Issue

Please note that due to calculation and rounding differences between our old payroll system and UCPath, you may notice minor differences in your deduction amounts.

If you notice a problem with your pay, follow the normal process of reporting the issue. Your Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) HR and Payroll teams are ready to help.


  • Contact your HR Partner, HR Generalist, or Research Administrator (RA) or Academic Personnel (AP) Analyst directly.
  • Open a ServiceNow ticket by going to and use the tool to “Ask an HR Question or Report an HR Problem”. It will be routed to the applicable regional team.

ERSO Region