Everything you need to know about 2023 Summer Salary for Faculty efforts can be found in these webpage(s).
For eligible faculty with available funding that can be used for summer ninths compensation (such as sponsored awards/grants, start-up funds, etc.), all the regions in Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) support these efforts each year and works with campus Principle Investigators (PIs) to gather information to set up summer salary payments. BRS HR and RA teams will begin communicating with PIs (and departments) about this year's processes beginning the week of 3/6/23.
Here's what you need to know:
Faculty supported by BRS Research Administrators (RAs)
- Faculty served by ERSO should contact the ERSO RA who supports them, or e-mail: ERSO Contract & Grant Managers for assistance. For specific instructions, please refer to the ERSO website.
- Faculty with funding administered by other regional BRS RAs should work directly with their RA to complete their summer salary request. As needed, RAs will work with academic units/departments and other funding administrators to coordinate payments.
- BRS RA assignments can be found here: https://phoebe.rac.berkeley.edu/search (On the landing page, search by faculty name to locate the “investigator record;” it should include the RA name(s) and contact information.)
Should departments/units have any individual faculty supported by a BRS RA through affiliation with an Organized Research Unit (ORU) for example, they will continue to work directly with their RA to complete their summer salary request. As needed, RAs will work with departmental staff and other funding administrators to coordinate payment(s).
For Faculty NOT supported by BRS RAs
- For departments/units that administer their own faculty's funding, as opposed to a BRS RA, they will continue to have access to submit requests on their faculty's behalf directly into a Summer Salary Smartsheet (similar to that used for ASE/GSR and Lecturer appointment requests).
- Regional HR/APS Managers/Supervisors can provide any additional assistance and/or answer questions.
Summer Salary pay periods
Due to proration for mid-month summer salary service dates in UCPath, the pay period will be for the full months of May and August. The total number of days available for each month, however, will still be based on the summer salary period. This means:
- For an effort in May, the appointment will be from 5/1 - 31/23. The days available will be from 5/15 - 31/23 (13 days).
- For an effort in August, the appointment period will reflect 8/1 - 31/23. The days available will be from 8/1 - 15/23 (11 days).
- BRS regions will continue to offer Smartsheets to their departments to enter requests directly into a Summer Salary Smartsheet (similar to that used for ASE/GSR and Lecturer appointment requests). This provides visibility into the progress and completion of their requests, as well as eliminate duplicative entries and reduce errors. Designated departmental staff will receive Smartsheet access, instructions, tutorials, etc.
- Regional BRS Research Administration teams are available to answer questions regarding salary caps, CBR rates and adjustments, ‘PC mapping’, and the attestation policy. Contact your respectiveregional BRS RA Supervisor for assistance with these topics.