ASE/GSR and Lecturer hire deadlines and information you need to know for Summer/Fall 2023
Up front, it is important to know that this year more than before, Berkeley continues to experience earlier-than-usual deadlines - this is due to Berkeley's proactive actions to mitigate potential delays in processing these large volumes of time sensitive work during the very busy hiring periods by the UCPath Center. While these deadlines are aggressive, BRS continues to work on solutions to help speed up processing. They will be successful only if departments identify their hires and approve them as early as possible.
Many of the process will remain the same, here are the important dates and details. BRS Regions will begin communicating details to their departments later in April.
Target dates (unless otherwise communicated by a region)
Entering ASE/GSR and Lecturer requests for new/rehires with 9/1/23 appointments.
- Use the new Smartsheets titled ASE/GSR AY23-24 (or Lecturer Hiring AY22-24).
- Begin entering Summer/Fall '23 appointments now (or as soon as they are communicated by the respective BRS region).
- The deadline for departments to enter and approve their Summer/Fall '23 appointment/hire requests in their new Smartsheets for on-time (9/1/23) pay and (8/1/23) systems access will be 7/14/23.
Important DocuSign packet details
- For those who need to do so, please encourage new appointees/hires that they should complete their new employee paperwork (DocuSign packet) immediately upon receipt. This will help expedite their UCPath employee record and Employee ID (EID) as well as help to ensure on-time pay.
- To translate to an on-time 9/1/23 monthly pay date, they will need to complete their DocuSign packet by 8/4/23.
- It is also important to know that they must complete their DocuSign packet by the first day of the semester at the latest in order to avoid potential damage payments (which cannot be paid with Federal funds).
- Those who do not complete their DocuSign packet by the deadline may also need teaching day basis recalculations.
- Also, they must not start work until they have attended their individual onboarding appointment to verify work authorizations (e.g., Form I-9, state oaths, etc.) which is required before the first day of work).
Short Work Break (SWB)
Summer Session appointments have a up to 31 days bridging period to bridge appointments ending in May to the first day of their summer Session appointment.
- This typically allows for employees in summer session A, B, C, and 12W to bypass onboarding if there is an appointment approved on the Smartsheet.
- Summer Session appointment letters for those in sessions D, E, and F (who exceed the 31-day bridging period) need to be sent out to employees in order for them to complete their onboarding/hiring process.
- In order to avoid potential overpayment, departments should respond to their region's request for terminations for those employees that will not be returning in the Summer/Fall.